A rather lovely looking place called Old Hall Community which is looking for residents and volunteers, and a sustainability centre based at Llanfyllin Workhouse.
A few interesting things in citizen reporting and community action:
- Help Me Investigate is a place where you can collaborate with other people to investigate things.
- Who’s Lobbying answers questions for anyone who’s ever wondered or suspected what meetings UK ministers are having with who.
- Spot.us does community funded reporting, kind of like an indegogo for investigative journalism. Which is sequentially related to Qluso which is an online app that allows news editors to bid for exclusive stories from freelance journalists.
- Press complaints commission data made accessible. Naturally the good old Daily Mail lead the way. Inaccuracy and privacy are the most frequent triggers for a complaint.
If you’re feeling like you’re doing your bit to make things better, be humbled by Sandra Antonovic who the 10:10 campaign have named their Top Human of the Previous 365 Days. After much deliberation and chocolate biscuits, the committee comprising Franny and Lizzie were unanimous in their decision and issued the following statement: “Frankly we don’t believe that Sandra can be just the one person, as it is impossible to comprehend how anyone could have pulled off this lot in one year:
- Started 10:10 campaigns in 24 countries from Russia to Greece.
- Organised 5,000 schools to plant 50,000 trees.
- Signed up cities including Zagreb, Krapina, Nicosia and Pula (eg the town of Krapina in Croatia is modernising their street lighting and the City of Pula in Croatia are turning on/off city lights 15 minutes later/earlier each day and providing citizens with free coloured garbage bags to increase recycling levels).
- Produced the first 10:10 checklists in braille.
- Persuaded a board game manufacturer to produce a 10:10 board game.
- Persuaded a regional TV company to produce the pilot of a 10:10 TV show which will feature 10 families competing to cut their emissions.”