EDF is not green, it’s not British. And it spends £20m on marketing Green Britain day which is more than its annual spend on investing in new green energy (source).
- It operates 8 nuclear power stations in the UK
- It is the world’s largest corporate producer of toxic nuclear waste behind the US and Canada
- Its claims around “low-carbon energy” actually refer to nuclear power that has generated 1420 tonnes of high level nuclear waste that will remain a toxic threat to the environment for hundreds of years.
- Only 1% of EDF’s generation capacity in the UK comes from Renewables (Nuclear = 66%, Coal = 28%, Gas = 5%).
- EDF’s electricity generated from their coal fired power stations is responsible for over 20m tonnes of CO2 emissions.
- Over the last 6 years EDF spent a yearly average of £4.98 per customer building new green energy – this puts them in 5th place amongst the ‘Big 6’